This week’s Talking Delivery Roundup centers around Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence capability for Portfolio and Project Management (PPM). According to Gartner, by 2030 AI will takeover 80% of the tasks involved in project management. A human person is still needed to facilitate teams, communicate status and escalate issues, but “AI-enabled PPM” can help reduce mundane project tasks (analytics gathering and reporting) that often bog down a project manager’s time. A lot of the literature suggests that ML/AI for project management is best suited for projects that are large in scale and repeatable in order to create proper training sets for prediction models.
The strengths of AI-enabled PPM is in a model’s ability to:
- Assess risk probability by calculating true total cost and investment returns
- Utilize Robotic Process Automation (RPA) to manage mundane PM tasks such as task tracking and alerts
- Perform resource optimization and scheduling.
- Analyze project data quickly and providing recommendations to improve project performance
Companies such as Planview and Autodesk are making investments in AI-enabled PPM to better streamline project management workflow and risk assessments through acquisitions of companies who have built these AI PPM platforms.
Here is a roundup of articles detailing the growing trend in ML/AI for project management.
- AI In Project Management, Forbes: Link
- How to Use RPA and AI for Project Management: Link
- How AI Could Revolutionize Project Management, CIO Magazine: Link
- Gartner Press Release for AI capability in Project Management by 2020: Link
- 3 Ways AI Will Change Project Management for the Better: Link
- 6 AI Technologies Changing Project Management, TechRepublic: Link
- 5 Benefits of AI in Project Management: Link
- 11 Impacts of Artificial Intelligence on Project Management: Link
- AI Project Development – How Project Managers Should Prepare: Link
- How Machine Learning Will Change the World of Project Management: Link
- Automating Project Management with Deep Learning, Towards Data Science: Link
- An example of how Forecast is using AI in it’s platform solution to assist in project management: Link
- Artificial Intelligence in Project Management – Is Your Company Ready For It? Link
- How AI Will Change the Future of Project Management: Link
Published on August 21, 2020